Skip to main content

Blog 6 - Wayne McGregors 'Atomos'

 


Atomos, 2013, Studio Wayne McGregor
 

We recently took some time to watch a video on Wayne McGregors process when creating ‘Atomos’ in 2013. The process involved many different parties. Wayne McGregor himself, dancers from his company, and Studio XO.

This whole production managed to connect the dance world with technology seamlessly, and it is truly astonishing how everything came together. Sensors were used to gather the data needed (ie the dancers' biometrics), and with everything they gathered, XO designed digital skins inspired by the dancers' emotional states. Furthermore, costumes were designed, and so were props that were used in the creative process, but not during the actual performance.

Usually, dancers rely mostly on the movement they create, but through this process, the costumes were just as important. Both elements combined created an even more captivating experience for the audience, as they helped elevate each other.



Atomos, 2013, Studio Wayne McGregor



The dancers used 3D glasses while improvising, so the image they had in front of them looked alive and fluid just like it is when shrunk back to its normal size, and through many alterations, the end result was slowly created.

McGregor continued to work around the idea of creating something out anything for this choreographic performance. He focused on taking invisible concepts that appear in the body, structures in the microcosm that can’t be seen by the naked eye, and zoomed in to such an extent, making in possible to have a visible image he could work with.

He brings up the question of what a human being is, and dives deep literally and figuratively, and articulates through the bodies of his company dancers the feelings and shifts that they personally go through without even being aware of it sometimes.



Atomos, 2013, Studio Wayne McGregor


McGregor gave them many instructions during the process, so even though it might seem like they only had a visual stimulus, they had many guidelines that helped them stick to a certain structure.

 

I personally think that the whole idea was very well thought out and I believe that it paid off. Taking such an abstract concept and turning it into something that is very much alive and real is one of the reasons why I admire Wayne McGregor. The way he strings these ideas together, while still being extremely cooperative truly amazes me.


Word Count: 375



Bibliography:


Images from : 

Atomos, 2013, Studio Wayne McGregor, Available at: Atomos - Studio Wayne McGregor




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 7 - Process update

 Where am I in my process? This whole experience of creating my own piece of choreography for the first time has been enlightening and very exciting to say the least. I never thought that so many variables could exist in threading different ideas together, but along the way I got used to putting time and thought behind each movement, so it could make sense when referring back to my stimulus.     Link -  Monarch Butterfly While I was working on my choreography, I found my thoughts on  my stimulus almost going through a domino effect and expanding. This journey led me to researching butterflies. I know it might seem very random, and quite off-topic, but what I really focused on was what they might symbolise. In movies, usually animations, I have noticed that they are usually used as a sign of optimism, but also, they tend to lead the characters to a trip down memory lane. As we all know, butterflies go through many changes during their lifetime. They handle these transitions with grace,

Blog 8 - Differences & Similarities

I realised that Crystal Pite and Wayne McGregor both work alongside the dancers of the company to create their dance pieces. I believe that their ability to include their dancers in their creative process is incredible, as it makes it possible for the dancers to build on movement sequences and experiment, rather than just being the ones who perform the outcome. The company dancers have the opportunity to give their own approach to the choreographers stimulus, and they aren't treated as empty vessels ready to memorize multiple combinations. I found that I related to this method in some way, as I found that I personally prefer including other peoples' opinions and thoughts when I create. I really enjoy looking at things from different angles and perspectives, because I find that different life experiences shape the way we see the world, and I am always caught off-guard by how different each dancers' interpretations can be.  The main difference I can point out between the two

Blog 1 – A reflection of Choreographic Tasks/Processes

During week three of our training, we focused on Merce Cunningham and his unique approach to choreography. The presentation was mostly video based, and it broke down Cunningham’s different techniques when it came to the creative process. Given this opportunity, to have an insight on his course of thought, I was able to begin my own journey of creativity. He was recognised for the precision and complexity of his movements, and he focused on pushing the boundaries of the dance industry to turn his creative compositions into very physically expressive pieces of art. What made him stand out even more, was how he found a way to bring together different branches of performing arts and technology, while also keeping them independent from each other during a performance. This brought on a whole new genre of dance expression, inspiring artist all over the world to this very day. (Merce Cunningham Trust, no date) We later got separated into small groups, and our task was to use the Chance Me