Skip to main content

Blog 1 – A reflection of Choreographic Tasks/Processes


During week three of our training, we focused on Merce Cunningham and his unique approach to choreography. The presentation was mostly video based, and it broke down Cunningham’s different techniques when it came to the creative process. Given this opportunity, to have an insight on his course of thought, I was able to begin my own journey of creativity.

He was recognised for the precision and complexity of his movements, and he focused on pushing the boundaries of the dance industry to turn his creative compositions into very physically expressive pieces of art. What made him stand out even more, was how he found a way to bring together different branches of performing arts and technology, while also keeping them independent from each other during a performance. This brought on a whole new genre of dance expression, inspiring artist all over the world to this very day. (Merce Cunningham Trust, no date)

We later got separated into small groups, and our task was to use the Chance Method by Merce Cunningham to start choreographing our dance. We were all given six words, and each group had some time to associate each word with a number from one to six. We then used a random number generator to present us with four numbers (the same number could be repeated) and keeping them in the same order that they were called out in, we formed a series of instructions. After working on this for a while, we repeated this process another two times with different words. By the end of this task, we were able to choreograph several counts of choreography. At some point we flipped a coin to determine whether we had to reverse a part of it.

This task gave us an idea of what choreographing a solo in a group will be like. As we progress with our choreography, I believe an issue we might face is communication amongst the group members, as I think that it’s equally difficult and helpful having four people in a group with completely different styles. Thus, being open and honest with each other about what we like, and dislike, is very important.


 =>Using the Chance Method:

First Section:           Second Section:                         Third Section:
- Turn (6)                 - Repetition (6)                          - Direction (1)
- Travel (2)              - Question and Answer (2)      - Pathways (2)
- Travel (2)              - Canon (4)                                 - General space (6)
- Balance (5)            - Repetition (6)                          - Size (4)
 













(Merce Cunningham 
conducting John Cage's Concert 
for Piano and Orchestra, 1958)




Word Count:399


Bibliography:

Merce Cunningham (no date) Merce Cunningham Trust. Available at: https://www.mercecunningham.org/about/merce-cunningham/ (Accessed: October 2, 2022).

Merce Cunningham conducting John Cage's Concert for Piano and Orchestra, 1958, Merce Cunningham Trust, Available at: https://www.mercecunningham.org/images/MerceCunningham_4a.jpg (Accessed: October 2, 2022).

 

Comments

  1. would you use any of the methods of chance to create more choreography for your sol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i actually thing that I would for a start, to maybe get some inspiration or a sort of direction, but I wouldn't necessarily stick to it. i would use it as a guideline and then work from there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 7 - Process update

 Where am I in my process? This whole experience of creating my own piece of choreography for the first time has been enlightening and very exciting to say the least. I never thought that so many variables could exist in threading different ideas together, but along the way I got used to putting time and thought behind each movement, so it could make sense when referring back to my stimulus.     Link -  Monarch Butterfly While I was working on my choreography, I found my thoughts on  my stimulus almost going through a domino effect and expanding. This journey led me to researching butterflies. I know it might seem very random, and quite off-topic, but what I really focused on was what they might symbolise. In movies, usually animations, I have noticed that they are usually used as a sign of optimism, but also, they tend to lead the characters to a trip down memory lane. As we all know, butterflies go through many changes during their lifetime. They handle these transitions with grace,

Blog 8 - Differences & Similarities

I realised that Crystal Pite and Wayne McGregor both work alongside the dancers of the company to create their dance pieces. I believe that their ability to include their dancers in their creative process is incredible, as it makes it possible for the dancers to build on movement sequences and experiment, rather than just being the ones who perform the outcome. The company dancers have the opportunity to give their own approach to the choreographers stimulus, and they aren't treated as empty vessels ready to memorize multiple combinations. I found that I related to this method in some way, as I found that I personally prefer including other peoples' opinions and thoughts when I create. I really enjoy looking at things from different angles and perspectives, because I find that different life experiences shape the way we see the world, and I am always caught off-guard by how different each dancers' interpretations can be.  The main difference I can point out between the two