Skip to main content

Blog 8 - Differences & Similarities

I realised that Crystal Pite and Wayne McGregor both work alongside the dancers of the company to create their dance pieces. I believe that their ability to include their dancers in their creative process is incredible, as it makes it possible for the dancers to build on movement sequences and experiment, rather than just being the ones who perform the outcome. The company dancers have the opportunity to give their own approach to the choreographers stimulus, and they aren't treated as empty vessels ready to memorize multiple combinations. I found that I related to this method in some way, as I found that I personally prefer including other peoples' opinions and thoughts when I create. I really enjoy looking at things from different angles and perspectives, because I find that different life experiences shape the way we see the world, and I am always caught off-guard by how different each dancers' interpretations can be. 

The main difference I can point out between the two choreographers is the structure of their movements. I find that Crystal Pites' choreographies make more sense to me pattern-wise, as she is also a classically trained dancer, so her movement is understandably influenced by that. Wayne McGregors' choreographies are more abstract and 'unpredictable' in comparison to Pites'. He starts to create movement through mental images of different objects, and he translates what he 'sees' with his body, whereas Pites' choreographies are more emotion-driven and connected to the natural elements. She embodies these deep emotions and uses nature as a guide to create. Overall, it is evident that the stylistic differences between the two are very prominent. In my personal process I started off with a painting as my stimulus. I didn't think of the shapes and the structure like McGregor would probably do, but I focused more of a storyline that it inspired. The emotions I portrayed throughout, however, were the result of my mind map, and not the source of inspiration, like Crystal Pite. 

Everyone's journey is different, and just as beautiful, and I look forward to exploring new ways of creating in the future. Studying both of these choreographic practitioners' works has been a massive inspiration, and I would love to learn more about their processes. 









Crystal Pite, (n.d.)













                                                     Wayne McGregor, 2021





Word Count: 372



Bibliography:

Crystal Pite - Choreographer, (n.d.), Royal Opera House, Available at: https://www.roh.org.uk/people/crystal-pite

Wayne McGregor, 2021, Gramilano Dance Opera Photography, Available at: https://www.gramilano.com/2021/06/royal-opera-house-2021-2022-ballet-season/









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 7 - Process update

 Where am I in my process? This whole experience of creating my own piece of choreography for the first time has been enlightening and very exciting to say the least. I never thought that so many variables could exist in threading different ideas together, but along the way I got used to putting time and thought behind each movement, so it could make sense when referring back to my stimulus.     Link -  Monarch Butterfly While I was working on my choreography, I found my thoughts on  my stimulus almost going through a domino effect and expanding. This journey led me to researching butterflies. I know it might seem very random, and quite off-topic, but what I really focused on was what they might symbolise. In movies, usually animations, I have noticed that they are usually used as a sign of optimism, but also, they tend to lead the characters to a trip down memory lane. As we all know, butterflies go through many changes during their lifetime. They handle these transitions with grace,

Blog 1 – A reflection of Choreographic Tasks/Processes

During week three of our training, we focused on Merce Cunningham and his unique approach to choreography. The presentation was mostly video based, and it broke down Cunningham’s different techniques when it came to the creative process. Given this opportunity, to have an insight on his course of thought, I was able to begin my own journey of creativity. He was recognised for the precision and complexity of his movements, and he focused on pushing the boundaries of the dance industry to turn his creative compositions into very physically expressive pieces of art. What made him stand out even more, was how he found a way to bring together different branches of performing arts and technology, while also keeping them independent from each other during a performance. This brought on a whole new genre of dance expression, inspiring artist all over the world to this very day. (Merce Cunningham Trust, no date) We later got separated into small groups, and our task was to use the Chance Me