Skip to main content

Blog 5 - Wayne McGregors' Choreographic Techniques


Wayne McGregor is one of the most accomplished choreographers of our day. He showed some of his choreographic techniques on a TED talk in September 2012, with two dancers, and he really gave everyone some insight on how his brain works, and how he takes a certain concept that might be very random and through a process of physical thinking, he turns it into his stimulus. He basically proved that you could make anything out of anything, if you used your imagination.








Wayne McGregor on the TEDGlobal stage in September 2019 - 'A Choreographers creative process in real time'.





In the video of his TED talk, he took the word “TED” and explained how he imagined the word as a 3D object, that he could rotate, turn and manipulate, so he could see different angles. From there, he started improvising, and the two dancers behind him started taking elements from it to build upon. Towards theend he started giving them certain instructions and ideas to work towards. An example of this could be imagining a letter flat just above the ground and working around it. His process is very fast and almost chaotic, so I would imagine that it takes a certain type of dancers to be able to absorb all that information so quickly and efficiently. It was truly mesmerising to see the whole process, and how it just came together in the end.






Wayne McGregor and dancers on the TEDGlobal stage in September 2019 - 'A Choreographers creative process in real time'.



Wayne McGregor’s phrase was very fast paced and mostly included straight lines in the arms and legs to replicate the letters ‘T’ and ‘E’. The curved movements that were inspired by the letter ‘D’ seemed to have a more suspended feel to them, and they were like a small breath amongst the more out-of-control parts of the choreography.


 We were asked to follow a similar process and experimenting with our own word, to see where it takes us. I found that having a mental image as a guide can help with creating, as you basically try to replicate different shapes, and try to create a certain dynamic that suits them.

I took the word “OWN” and played around with more curved and circular movements to represent the first two letters and transitioned to more linear and sharp gestures when it came to the letter “N”. It was quite thrilling to work in this way, and I feel like it gave me a sense of security, as I had the guide of my word. I always feel like improvisation can get a bit repetitive sometimes, but this time I felt like I could let loose and explore two opposite dynamics, while still being led by instructions.







Word Count: 423




Bibliography:

A Choreographer's Creative Process in Real Time, 2012, TEDGlobal Available at: A Choreographer's Creative Process in Real Time | Wayne McGregor | TED Talks - YouTube (Accessed: October 2022). 

Music for personal improvisation video: 
Dearly Flawless by Brand X Music (Album Name: Neoclassical 2)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 7 - Process update

 Where am I in my process? This whole experience of creating my own piece of choreography for the first time has been enlightening and very exciting to say the least. I never thought that so many variables could exist in threading different ideas together, but along the way I got used to putting time and thought behind each movement, so it could make sense when referring back to my stimulus.     Link -  Monarch Butterfly While I was working on my choreography, I found my thoughts on  my stimulus almost going through a domino effect and expanding. This journey led me to researching butterflies. I know it might seem very random, and quite off-topic, but what I really focused on was what they might symbolise. In movies, usually animations, I have noticed that they are usually used as a sign of optimism, but also, they tend to lead the characters to a trip down memory lane. As we all know, butterflies go through many changes during their lifetime. They handle these transitions with grace,

Blog 8 - Differences & Similarities

I realised that Crystal Pite and Wayne McGregor both work alongside the dancers of the company to create their dance pieces. I believe that their ability to include their dancers in their creative process is incredible, as it makes it possible for the dancers to build on movement sequences and experiment, rather than just being the ones who perform the outcome. The company dancers have the opportunity to give their own approach to the choreographers stimulus, and they aren't treated as empty vessels ready to memorize multiple combinations. I found that I related to this method in some way, as I found that I personally prefer including other peoples' opinions and thoughts when I create. I really enjoy looking at things from different angles and perspectives, because I find that different life experiences shape the way we see the world, and I am always caught off-guard by how different each dancers' interpretations can be.  The main difference I can point out between the two

Blog 1 – A reflection of Choreographic Tasks/Processes

During week three of our training, we focused on Merce Cunningham and his unique approach to choreography. The presentation was mostly video based, and it broke down Cunningham’s different techniques when it came to the creative process. Given this opportunity, to have an insight on his course of thought, I was able to begin my own journey of creativity. He was recognised for the precision and complexity of his movements, and he focused on pushing the boundaries of the dance industry to turn his creative compositions into very physically expressive pieces of art. What made him stand out even more, was how he found a way to bring together different branches of performing arts and technology, while also keeping them independent from each other during a performance. This brought on a whole new genre of dance expression, inspiring artist all over the world to this very day. (Merce Cunningham Trust, no date) We later got separated into small groups, and our task was to use the Chance Me