Skip to main content

Blog 4 - My chosen practitioner

 I personally had a very difficult time choosing between the three choreographic practitioners we were given to look into. I find that it’s very easy for me to connect to people, and now with this task, I connected with work from all three choreographers. I understood that it would come down to who’s style matched mine, and who’s work could eventually help inspire my own choreographic piece.

In the end, I chose to focus on Crystal Pite, and how she thinks and processes life, to eventually create the magnificent works of art she is so famously known for.

Watching her interview with Denise Donlon, gave me the opportunity to see dance and life from a different, yet still similar, approach than usual. She emphasised on the impermanence of dance, and how, even though it has many ‘real’ elements, like the body, bones, muscles, energy etc., it also has the more almost non-existent side of it, as it doesn’t last forever. A choreographic piece is only alive in the minds of the dancers and the creators, unless performed on stage.

She also stated that nature is a piece of inspiration that remains consistent within her works. She always tries to apply different elements of the natural world, because of her upbringing in the West Coast. I related to this statement very much, as I come from an island, and was always surrounded by sea and beautiful mountains. Nature is extremely versatile, and exquisite, so it only makes sense that it can factor in the choreographic processes of many people.




'Body and Soul' - Crystal Pite (Opera national de Paris 2016)





What moved me most about her process is the fact that she starts by choosing a piece of music, and she finds a way to match the dynamic and aura of it with her choreography. She uses it as a lead, and then she uses all these elements (nature, music, and the feelings that they evoke), to articulate a story through the human body.

Her choreographies are very deep and soulful, and she manages to make spiritually charged ideas into something you can visualise.

 



Word Count: 342



Bibliography:

Crystal Pite's Legacy Interview, 2022, GGAwards-PricGG, Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiNylgYe-i0 (Accessed: October 2022).

"The seasons canon" ballet triumphs in Paris, 2018, France 24 English, Available at: https://youtu.be/f6x2r7fWZbY  (Accessed: October 2022).

'Body and Soul' by Crystal Pite- Teaser, 2020, Opera National de Paris, Available at:  https://youtu.be/6L16YOXFRCo  (Accessed: October 2022).






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 7 - Process update

 Where am I in my process? This whole experience of creating my own piece of choreography for the first time has been enlightening and very exciting to say the least. I never thought that so many variables could exist in threading different ideas together, but along the way I got used to putting time and thought behind each movement, so it could make sense when referring back to my stimulus.     Link -  Monarch Butterfly While I was working on my choreography, I found my thoughts on  my stimulus almost going through a domino effect and expanding. This journey led me to researching butterflies. I know it might seem very random, and quite off-topic, but what I really focused on was what they might symbolise. In movies, usually animations, I have noticed that they are usually used as a sign of optimism, but also, they tend to lead the characters to a trip down memory lane. As we all know, butterflies go through many changes during their lifetime. They handle these transitions with grace,

Blog 8 - Differences & Similarities

I realised that Crystal Pite and Wayne McGregor both work alongside the dancers of the company to create their dance pieces. I believe that their ability to include their dancers in their creative process is incredible, as it makes it possible for the dancers to build on movement sequences and experiment, rather than just being the ones who perform the outcome. The company dancers have the opportunity to give their own approach to the choreographers stimulus, and they aren't treated as empty vessels ready to memorize multiple combinations. I found that I related to this method in some way, as I found that I personally prefer including other peoples' opinions and thoughts when I create. I really enjoy looking at things from different angles and perspectives, because I find that different life experiences shape the way we see the world, and I am always caught off-guard by how different each dancers' interpretations can be.  The main difference I can point out between the two

Blog 1 – A reflection of Choreographic Tasks/Processes

During week three of our training, we focused on Merce Cunningham and his unique approach to choreography. The presentation was mostly video based, and it broke down Cunningham’s different techniques when it came to the creative process. Given this opportunity, to have an insight on his course of thought, I was able to begin my own journey of creativity. He was recognised for the precision and complexity of his movements, and he focused on pushing the boundaries of the dance industry to turn his creative compositions into very physically expressive pieces of art. What made him stand out even more, was how he found a way to bring together different branches of performing arts and technology, while also keeping them independent from each other during a performance. This brought on a whole new genre of dance expression, inspiring artist all over the world to this very day. (Merce Cunningham Trust, no date) We later got separated into small groups, and our task was to use the Chance Me