Skip to main content

Blog 3 - My stimulus and further research

 

When choosing a stimulus, I couldn’t help but gravitate towards this one by Dorothea Tanning called ‘Insomnias’. I saw a lot of potential in using this as inspiration, because it doesn’t depict anything realistic or ‘set’. It gives us the impression of something fluid and almost paranormal, or mystical. There are elements emerging from it, like a few human figures, a crying baby, and angel wings. I chose this work of art as my guide through choreographing my own dance piece, and while on this journey, I pushed myself to look at life as a multidimensional shape that has endless angles and interpretations.

 




D. Tanning - 'Insomnias' , 1957









My very first thought when looking at my stimulus was the theory of life flashing before your eyes before you pass on. It might sound like a very dark concept to some, but to me it is something I find quite beautiful and almost peaceful and comforting. Life ending is only inevitable. It is not supposed to be a massive shock, as it’s the only thing we know that is certain. Life begins, to end. The idea of memories rushing before you, at your final moments is something I find soothing, as it gives the essence of a full circle finally being complete.

A team of scientists accidentally did some research on the concept of memories being the last thing a person ‘sees’. They were measuring the brainwaves of an epileptic patient, when he suffered an unexpected heart attack which was fatal. This revealed that the brainwaves of the patient had the same patterns as dreaming or recalling memories, in the 30 seconds before and after the incident. After this discovery, more research was done, and it is fascinating how even though the patient was declared dead, his brain activity was proof that he might’ve been dreaming or recalling memories. 


I also found myself thinking about a specific painting by Pablo Picasso, named ‘Guernica’. This piece of art has some certain elements that remind me of my stimulus, and given the background of this painting, I realised just how differently death can be depicted. ‘Guernica’ was believed to be inspired by the tragic events that took place during the Spanish Civil War, when the Nazis performed a casual bombing practice on the town of Guernica. Obviously, this painting has a lot more differences to my stimulus, as it’s black and white and a lot clearer image wise. This however gave me the opportunity to understand the difference between a violent death and a peaceful one. This opposing dynamic only led me to understand my very own interpretation better, and now I realise that just like any story or concept, death has two very different sides.

 



Pablo Picaso - Guernica 1937




 My goal with this piece is to show some of the very different sides of the human consciousness, varying from the simplest of thoughts, to the most complicated and unnerving ideas. The end is always the same. Everyone ends up where it all started. The butterfly will either lead you back to life as we know it, or to the light.

Word Count: 509



Resources:


Image no.1:

'Insomnias', 1957, Dorothea Tannings 

Available at: Insomnies (Insomnias) | Dorothea Tanning 


Image no.2:

'Guernica', 1937, Pablo Picasso 

Available at: Guernica | Description, History, & Facts | Britannica









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 7 - Process update

 Where am I in my process? This whole experience of creating my own piece of choreography for the first time has been enlightening and very exciting to say the least. I never thought that so many variables could exist in threading different ideas together, but along the way I got used to putting time and thought behind each movement, so it could make sense when referring back to my stimulus.     Link -  Monarch Butterfly While I was working on my choreography, I found my thoughts on  my stimulus almost going through a domino effect and expanding. This journey led me to researching butterflies. I know it might seem very random, and quite off-topic, but what I really focused on was what they might symbolise. In movies, usually animations, I have noticed that they are usually used as a sign of optimism, but also, they tend to lead the characters to a trip down memory lane. As we all know, butterflies go through many changes during their lifetime. They handle these transitions with grace,

Blog 8 - Differences & Similarities

I realised that Crystal Pite and Wayne McGregor both work alongside the dancers of the company to create their dance pieces. I believe that their ability to include their dancers in their creative process is incredible, as it makes it possible for the dancers to build on movement sequences and experiment, rather than just being the ones who perform the outcome. The company dancers have the opportunity to give their own approach to the choreographers stimulus, and they aren't treated as empty vessels ready to memorize multiple combinations. I found that I related to this method in some way, as I found that I personally prefer including other peoples' opinions and thoughts when I create. I really enjoy looking at things from different angles and perspectives, because I find that different life experiences shape the way we see the world, and I am always caught off-guard by how different each dancers' interpretations can be.  The main difference I can point out between the two

Blog 1 – A reflection of Choreographic Tasks/Processes

During week three of our training, we focused on Merce Cunningham and his unique approach to choreography. The presentation was mostly video based, and it broke down Cunningham’s different techniques when it came to the creative process. Given this opportunity, to have an insight on his course of thought, I was able to begin my own journey of creativity. He was recognised for the precision and complexity of his movements, and he focused on pushing the boundaries of the dance industry to turn his creative compositions into very physically expressive pieces of art. What made him stand out even more, was how he found a way to bring together different branches of performing arts and technology, while also keeping them independent from each other during a performance. This brought on a whole new genre of dance expression, inspiring artist all over the world to this very day. (Merce Cunningham Trust, no date) We later got separated into small groups, and our task was to use the Chance Me